Pistachios – when you get a bad one…?

You know how every so often when you eat pistachios, you get one that is unbelievably sour, bitter, and bad tasting that you need to spit it out? Is there anything unhealthy about occasionally consuming one? They taste so terrible they leave me the feeling they could be poisonous.

9 Answers

  • It’s not poisonous. Boy when you get a good one (and you usually do) it’s great but when it’s bad – it’s really rotten.

  • The bad tasting pistachios could be that way from mold, which can produce the carcinogenic and toxic chemical aflatoxin. Also a problem with peanuts and some other foods. Probably not poisonous, but best to not eat the weird looking ones that you can guess are the bad tasting ones. And spit out any bad tasting pistachio.

  • This Site Might Help You.

    RE:

    Pistachios – when you get a bad one…?

    You know how every so often when you eat pistachios, you get one that is unbelievably sour, bitter, and bad tasting that you need to spit it out? Is there anything unhealthy about occasionally consuming one? They taste so terrible they leave me the feeling they could be poisonous.

  • I eat a lot of pistachios and yes they are sometimes bitter. I have never had a problem with eating the bitter ones. I do however occasionally (not often) find a type of moth in the place of the nut and the roasting/salting process makes it look just like a nut. So check it out before you down the thing. I’m totally serious dude.

  • As with other tree seeds, aflatoxin is found in poorly harvested or processed pistachios. Aflatoxins are potent carcinogenic chemicals produced by molds such as Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus. The mold contamination may occur from soil, poor storage, and spread by pests. High levels of mold growth typically appear as gray to black filament-like growth. It is unsafe to eat mold-infected and aflatoxin-contaminated pistachios.[27] Aflatoxin contamination is a frequent risk, particularly in warmer and humid environments. Food contaminated with aflatoxins has been found as the cause of frequent outbreaks of acute illnesses in parts of the world.

  • noo, they aren’t poisonous, if they were, then some big corporation would be liable for alot of wrongful deaths and poisoning cases

  • Rancid… not poisonous.

  • They are not dangerous, but your urine may temporarily turn blue.

  • no there nothing rong with it.

    i eat it all the time.

    i think they are probly burnt.

    that is just my opinion.

    P.S. your urine will not turn blue. LOL!

Leave a Comment