1) When Watson claimed “Give me a dozen healthy infants…” he was arguing that behavior is strongly influenced by
2) While functionalism emphasizes the adaptive purpose of ____, evolutionary psychology emphasizes the adaptive purpose of ____.
physical structures of the body; behavior
consciousness; physical structures of the body
– He was essentially saying that if he controlled the environment and interactions between the infants then he could greatly modify their behavior.
– “Functional psychology or functionalism refers to a general psychological approach that views mental life and *behavior* in terms of active adaptation to the person’s environment.”
– According to evolutionary psychology, “Consciousness is a small portion of the contents and processes of the mind” that evolved for an adaptive purpose.
1) environmental factors
2) behavior; consciousness